Well, as you know, Molly completed another swallow study last week and, as I suspected, she swallows beautifully. Basically, that means she is deamed, once again, to safely feed orally. So now the ball is back in Molly's court. We all know what that means....Molly does what Molly wants. To her credit, however, I do have to say that she has improved over the last couple of days. She's been taking 3-4 ounces at every feeding, as long we distract, encourage, play it up, whatever we need to do to keep her eating. I've also switched her from a #2 nipple to a #3, so she really has no choice but to eat. The milk pretty much comes out in a slow trickle and she has to work very little to get any in her mouth. It seems to be working. I did have to finish her off this morning with just an ounce through the NG tube, but that's not bad in a 36 hour period. And, the best part, she is now up to 13 lbs. 7 oz. The doc. is very pleased with her weight gain, so the orders are to continue what we are doing until her follow-up in October. At that point, we will assess how much she is taking orally vs. the NG, and discuss the option/necessity of a
g-tube. I know many people are probably wondering why we are putting it off, and the answer is complicated. It seems that just as I reach a point of resolution that she needs a g-tube, she suddenly decides to eat better and gain weight. I think Molly likes to push things just to the limit and then pull back! She's a funny bucket for sure :-)
As for the other two, Hailey is very close to walking. She has taken as many as 4 steps before falling forward, and is regularly taking 1-2 steps. The OT is wanting her to show more effort in standing herself up without assistance, but we think it won't be but a week or so until she walks! This will certainly add a whole new dimension to my day, but I will certainly celebrate the fact that one of my 24 week triplets is walking. I'll take whatever challeges come with it :-)
Andrew is becoming much more confident on his feet as well. He cruises to wherever he wants to go and is starting to squat and stand, and do little dancing motions while standing. He even seems to want to jump now and then. He continues to take many spills throughout the day and currently has a nice bruise on his forehead. I guess this is what having boys is like, or so I've been told. He could possibly be taking steps in a month or so, but we'll see. I'm sure he'll think he can walk much sooner than he actually has the skills.
And once Hailey starts, he'll have a nice role model to learn from.
At the moment, everyone is healthy, which is a blessing, and we are gearing up for the beginning of the school year. I had an epiphany of sorts the other day. For the first time in almost 5 years, I actually felt like a mom, a real mom. Not just someone with kids. I took Megan school shopping and all these memories from when I was kid came to me, and I realized, Wow, I have a school-aged child and now I have to really be a parent! Yikes! This might be my toughest challenge yet. Wish me luck :-) I can't wait to post pictures of her first day! I think she already knows what she's wearing. Typical, isn't it? I even got to enjoy the very same conversation I had with my mom when I was a kid-"Sorry, but you have to wait until school starts to wear your new school clothes." I think she asks everyday if she can wear her new shoes. I actually enjoy being on the other side of that conversation :-)
Well, I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying this last bit of summer weather. I have a request for all you faithful prayer sayers (is that a word?) Some friends of my family just delivered their second child after a pregnancy filled with complications and many ups and downs. They are facing a very long road of surgeries, challenges, and emotional stress. They are at Children's in Seattle and are just beginning this journey. If you could send up a prayer for Josh, Rachel, little Joshua, and baby Lucas, that would be wonderful! I've added a link to their blog if you want to read up on their story, The Wakefields. Thanks so much!
Just a few pics
This week during therapy, the kids had a chance to play with a new wagon/cart that was supposed to offer assistance with walking. Well, when Hailey saw that Molly got to ride in the cart, she was none to pleased! On came the faucets until we let her sit in it. Imagine what followed, nothing but this beautiful smile. So, she rode around in the cart while Megan lovingly pushed her.
Here is Andrew working hard to operate a remote that really belongs to nothing. It's a nice compromise, and it allows him to practice using his pointer finger.
Molly, hammin' it up as usual! Tim had a little fun with the camera last night while Megan, Hailey and I were at swim lessons. Maybe Molly will grow up to a model for "small" people :-)




1 comment:
Did Andrew get haircut? So cute.
PS. just wait until you have more than one in school!AAHHH!!
Post a Comment