Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Milkshakes and More

Today was Molly's swallow study, and in true Molly fashion was as stubborn as ever when it came to eating. She took a few spoonfuls of yogurt, but that wasn't very helpful because she was moving around so much. They did manage to get a good 3-4 swallows and the radiologist felt she did a beautiful job of swallowing and there wasn't even a speck of aspiration. So, from here where do we go? I'm not sure. I'll be contacting the pediatrician and her pulmonologist and find out what the next step is. It seems to me that she is becoming less interested in bottle feeding the longer we have the NG in, but she needs to get those calories and grow. She did take a 100mL bottle for me this afternoon, but she was very relaxed and there were no distractions. I guess in a house with three other kids, there's always something else to look at or pay attention to than eating!

On a fun note, I've discovered something else Molly likes to eat...Chocolate Milkshake. One theory, founded by Heidi, our NICU Nurse/friend, thinks it is because Molly was always smelling chocolate on her nurses' breath while in the hospital. Could be true :-) Anyway, I was drinking on yesterday and she kept watching me, so I put some on her tray. She didn't really do much with it but was still keeping her eyes on me. I figured out it was the straw she was interested in. So, I capped the end and put the straw to her mouth. She opened right up and let me drip the shake in. Then, she drank it from a bowl! So, naturally, I portioned out what was left and I now have frozen chocolate milk shake in my freezer. Not exactly baby food, but yummy calories for sure!


I'm posting this a day later and want everyone to know that we've hit another important mark. Molly is now 13 lbs. 4.5 oz! We finally broke the 13 lb. barrier!

Go Molly :-)

This picture shows just how determined Hailey can be when she spots a paci. She actually got on the floor and was trying to squeeze her way through the railing and under it in order to get that thing. Needless to say, she did succeed and ended in tears!

Lastly, this coming Sunday we will be having the babies dedicated at our church. It's been a day we have looked forward to for a long time now and are excited to share it with our family and friends! I will be sure to post pictures of the exciting event! It's kind of like their debut :-)

3 comments:

Montieth Family said...

One of these days she is going to be chubby and we are all going to laugh about getting her to eat. I have good ideas about calorie packing from friends, I will email you. Kristen

Caden and Mommy said...

Heather!
Nice to "virtually" meet you. My mom had told me about meeting you and your family on the 4th. Your little one's are adorable ... and my heaven's do you have your hands full! You must be one strong mommy!
I also graduated from Central, in 98 - my degree is in Business, so I doubt we had any classes together.
Maybe sometime we will both be in the Sky Island neighborhood at the same time and we can get our kiddos together to play.
If you don't mind I would like to link your family to my blog - so I can keep up with you?!
Trisha

Lisa said...

seriously, who doesn't like chocolate milkshakes???? doesn't that count for a milk serving or something?