Monday, September 8, 2008

reflection

I was talking to a friend the other day and sharing a little bit about my experience in finding out I was pregnant with triplets, how I felt about it, and then having a complete paradigm shift the night they were delivered. This quote sums up how I feel about it all today:

If I were to say, "God, why me?" about the bad things, then I should have said, "God, why me?" about the good things that happened in my life.
-Arthur Ashe

When I first found out I was pregnant with triplets, I was devastated. I thought it was the worst thing that could have happened. All I could think about was the risk involved, sick babies, and chaos all around. And I asked many, many times, "God, why me?" Even now, most people would look at our time spent in the NICU and feel sorry for us, wonder how we handled everything, and be amazed at our strength. And when I think back, I know there were many critical moments and times when things certainly looked about bleak as they could, but overall, I feel blessed. And I am reminded often of how things could have been so much worse and I wonder, why did our babies survive? Why did we avoid complications such as blindness, cerebral palsy, or worse, death? Why are our babies so relatively healthy when other, full-term children suffer? Only God knows, and when I think of all the good things, I do ask "God, why me?"

Well, from the day these little miracles were born I've believed in my heart that each one of them has a purpose and a story to tell. So I suppose that is my answer. I believe in my children and I guess that's "why me"!

I think we could all benefit from putting more energy into seeking out the positive in our lives and feeling blessed, instead of dwelling on the negative and feeling cheated. It took a near crisis for me to learn this, and everyday it's a struggle, but I get better at it on most days :-)

1 comment:

Cindy, Robby & Jacob said...

Hi Heather...you hit it on the spot. God had plans for you and Tim when he gave you the triplet. From what I see, you are all handling it great. Megan is adjusted and your babies are all so cute. Keep up the great work. What kind of food are you giving them now? I want to get off the baby food.