Friday, September 5, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten

Okay, I know, it's been 4 days! But, it's been 4 days and I've yet to fail at being a kindergarten mom! As you know, Megan's first day of school was this past Tuesday and overall, I think things have gone well. It was a tougher adjustment than I anticipated for her, but today she came home seeming happy and without complaint. Tired, but happy!

7 am wake-up...it was painful to wake such a peacefully sleeping Megan, but I knew it had to be done.

Dressed in her "Daddy's Angel" shirt. She had this outfit picked out weeks before the first day ever arrived :-)

When we arrived at school, she new exactly where her classroom was and found her cubby right away. She's very proud of her camo backpack.

This drawer full of shells was a day-saver. She was very excited to show it to me, so that's what we focused on during our drive to school.

Had to get the standard parent/kid shot outside the classroom.

Her teacher, Ms Mason, seems very nice and I think she will be great for Megan. Apparently, Megan has already made an impression on her, as when I picked Megan up on Thursday I asked Ms. Mason how she was doing. Her response was "Megan is just delightful. She makes me smile." Talk about a proud parent moment!!!

So here's how it went. I woke her at 7 and she got herself dressed and ready to go. She ate a hearty breakfast of scrambled eggs with bacon, cheese, and chives, and some cereal. My mom arrived just in time for us to leave and we got to school right on time. Of course, we had to park a quarter mile from the front door, as everyone and their brother drove their children to school! I guess I forgot to anticipate that little detail :-) She showed me where her classroom was, we found her cubby and took a little tour. Then she introduced me to Ms. Mason. It was time for me to go, at which point the tears tried to come, but Ms. Mason was a dear and asked Megan to be her helper. That distracted her just enough for me to scoot out the door. Of course, I had to come back and leave money for her lunch account so she could buy milk, but by then she was engaged in whatever activity was going on and I don't think she even noticed. Luckily, she made a friend right away, her name is Claire, and they've been together ever since :-) Well, for 4 days anyway. Funny enough, Claire's dad and Tim went to high school together and both wrestled, while Claire's mom is a nurse practitioner at the babies' pediatrician's office. She took care of Molly when she had pneumonia and was the care provider for all of their RSV visits. It can certainly be a small world. Needless to say, I'm very proud of Megan for making this transition and being a good sport about attending school. She even says that starting on Monday, it will be okay for me to drop her at the curb with the other kids instead of walking her to her classroom. We'll see.....Most importantly, she is adjusting to being away from home again after a year and half, and I'm confident it will be a great year for her! I can't wait to post pictures from her first classroom event!

2 comments:

Elizabeth Horn said...

megan is sooooooo stickin cute! omg

Anderson Family said...

What a doll! What a great post - walking us through her first day experience! Hope to talk soon! :)